Advertisement

Unity Progress #63: First Attempt at Character Creator (Randomization)

Unity Progress #63: First Attempt at Character Creator (Randomization) This week I wanted to make an attempt at learning how to make a character creator. I watched a few tutorials online and got some ideas as to how to get started on this. Eventually I want to add a lot more, but these are the first steps I took in making this Character Creator version 1.

Scene: I created a separate scene so I wouldn't have to worry about all the scripts and GameObjects messing with any coding in this Scene. It really helped in tracking down errors/bugs without messing up any of the systems I currently have in place.

Background: I used the same Skybox and Terrain from my other Scene as well as added some trees water and the new rabbits I made in previous videos. There are also some mushrooms I made a while back which the player will be able to gather, but for now just included for the scenery.

Blender Character: I updated a previous model I made in Blender and separated the body parts into different objects so I could change the color of each y changing the material's color in Unity. These include Body, Hair, Eyebrows, Shirt, Pants, Eyes (pupils).

Character Creator: I created this script to hold all references and methods needed to adjust the colors of each part. Right now each method can change the color of a different body part, just to make it clear and easy to adjust for me when needed. Each button is hooked up to a different method such as Random Hair Color = RandomHairColor().

Skin Color: Rather than making this completely random I made a table using RGB (Red, Green Blue) with values that I found with google. There are about 19 different colors in the spectrum I used. I have a separate script which holds this information the Character Creator script can reference for the Skin Color Slider Bar and the Randomize All button.

Blink: I can't yet figure out how to import Blend Shapes as animations into Unity, so for now I used a Coroutine Blink() to change the "Blink" value from 0 to 100 for a split second ever few seconds to simulate the player blinking. Eventually I want to be able to use Blend Shapes to allow the user to change the nose size, eye size, cheek size, etc.

For next week I'd like to add a color wheel to allow the player to change the specific colors rather than just rely on the Randomize button. After this I'd like to work on the UI and make it look better and also make it more user friendly. Then add a feature for the player to create his/her name and then use Blend Shapes to allow for changing the facial features of the character. I also have to create a female character as well, but probably after I do the above.

Thanks for watching!

Music Here:

Twitter:
Facebook:
Instagram:

Unity3D,GameDevelopment,GameDev,IndieDev,IndieGameDev,Progress,Character Creator,

Post a Comment

0 Comments